Thursday, June 28, 2012

My Current Train of Thought

I have a lot on my mind right now. Today I helped C learn addition and subtraction by counting out rocks. I felt pretty accomplished. I gave every kid in his family an article of clothing. I even gave J my favorite pair of workout shorts. That's when you know you've given from your heart - when you give someone something you love.

Sometimes if I am reading a book with the kids, I wonder how much they are truly understanding. But I guess it's good for them to just hear English being spoken. Especially with pictures etc.

I really want to stay longer. Already it's been one month...!!! And I feel like I've just gotten the hang of everything. I've really begun to live outside myself, which feels great. I'm not even sure I want to go back to Kenyon, at least not right away... What a different world it is! Here I have friends and there I have friends too... I suppose I need a degree in order to help people more. If I don't get a good job and earn money, how can I expect to benefit anyone? At the same time though, I've really fallen in love with the children in Eguafo. But maybe this is just the beginning of a long and fruitful journey.

So... What are you looking for?
A new pair of shoes?
A slingshot?
A chunk of raw meat?
A gigantic live snail?
Or how about a nice, medicinal dried bat?

Well, then Kumasi is the place for you! They have all that and more at the largest central market in West Africa, and I was there!

Unfortunately I didn't dare take any pictures. Taking out my camera in a place like that would not have been smart. It was so so crowded and of course everyone calls out to us because we're tourists.

Speaking of looking different, babies cry when they see me. The ones that are too young to have ever seen a white person before find me and the others very alien and scary. There's even this one little boy in the village who I always wave and say hi to. This is fine, until I start walking towards him, at which point he screams in terror and runs to his mom. I understand... But it's the first time I've ever felt this different.

Things I like:
Ghanaian children
Seeing progress that I'm making in the community and as a person
Fried plantains
Mangoes
Dresses
The other volunteers here

Things I dislike:
Being a young, white woman in Ghana
Dynamics that don't work and that I can't change

But hey, whatcha gonna do?

Anyway I realize that I haven't actually told you what I've been doing. Take that as a sign that I've been busy doing good things and having fun and haven't had much time to text my dad things to put on my blog.

Basically I've been teaching classes, tutoring one on one, writing lessons for S, hanging out with the other volunteers and villagers, and just having fun and playing with kids. Also odd things, like laundry, eating, making bracelets, sleeping, giving things to people, taking videos, observing... So yeah that's my life so

Yoo, yen ko!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment