Friday, June 21, 2013

I Haven't Been Smiling as Much (Mini Post)


I could sit here and type about something new that happened to me or something that you might not know about Ghana or what I ate for dinner but I really don’t feel like it. I think I’ve done enough of that. Instead, I’m going to talk a little bit about me.

I’ve felt a very small amount of anger for a couple of weeks now. It’s sort of just always there, lurking. I couldn’t really figure out why, but now I know, and this next example might give you some insight into my internal struggle.

This Saturday, a big group of Proworld volunteers is heading over to the famous village on stilts, quite the tourist attraction. It takes 4 hours to get there and 4 hours to get back. I will not be going with them.

The not-too-fond-of-tro-tros part of me says, “Why would you want to spend 8 hours travelling on a bumpy road, just look at some houses and lie on the beach?” The anti-tourism part of me says, “What, you’re going to go into someone’s backyard in a canoe, stare at them, and then leave? If you’re going to go at all, don’t go with a huge group of tourists, at least”. But the anthropologist in me is screaming, “Go there! Go now! See how other people live on the water, you will literally die of happiness!”

I’ll be going to Eguafo instead. I haven’t been there for like, 2 weeks and I really need to see everybody. I’ll have all day.

I just feel really conflicted. I don’t think I’m getting as much as I could out of this experience as I did last year. Maybe I came in with inflated expectations. Maybe part of it is being in a city, where you don’t talk to everyone you see. Maybe part of it is that I have internet almost every day. Definitely part of it is that I’m not taking enough initiative to try new things. And part of it is that…

I spend almost every waking moment with at least one North American person. Almost every day, somebody mentions something she misses from back home, like steak or … whatever, mostly steak actually. I think that this is part of my anger. Because I agree! I miss steak and my leggings and cars not honking and the plethora of clean public toilets. But you can’t just compare countries. You need to look at them in isolation.

Why can’t we talk about the good parts about Ghana? LOOK UP! Don’t you see the beautiful lights and colors and smells and swirling ocean of bobbing heads as people jostle down the narrow roads of El Mina? Don’t you see the way the rain soaks into the wood of the road shacks and the way the taxis pop against the gray sky? Aren’t you in awe as you see a mother and her children eat dinner outside in pitch black darkness, only by the light of a kerosene lit flame?

Unfortunately, I see most of this while sitting in a tro-tro, driving past, never interacting with any of these people, as I head towards some expensive restaurant that really only tourists eat at.

The point of me saying all this is that… I’ll get to the stilt village eventually, just not on Saturday.

Last semester I wrote an ethnography as part of my Methods in Cultural Anthropology class with one of my best and favorite professors. When I was close to being finished, he asked me if the experience was worth it. I said, “Yeah, I definitely think it was worth it, but I also think I will never do it again.” He informed me that every person who writes their first ethnography swears, “Never again”. He went on to tell me that ethnography is “not something you do. It’s something you are”. Then he offered me an understanding smile. And I felt trapped. I still feel trapped; even more so now that I think I might have an ethnographer’s soul in me. A very timid, naive ethnographer's soul in a very confident and mature Emily. 

PS: I've realized recently that I often think that my way is the right way. 

Yen koh,
Ekuwa

No comments:

Post a Comment