Monday, July 1, 2013

The Difference Between Lightning and Thieves

So im not sure that i feel much like writing right now but i dont have much else to do so forgive me if this post seems a little haphazard. 

On Saturday my 3 friends and i hiked to a rock shrine. In total it was about 10 miles roundtrip. Its basically a huge like HUGE slab of rock lying on top of some other rocks. And there were sacrificed things like bottles that i think once contained acohol. The best part was the hike up, though. It was all uphill and we went through villages and the jungle and it rained almost the entire time. We even had to walk across a bamboo bridge which consisted of two branches to step on and one branch as a hand rail. Yolo. It was amazing. Also, i finally got my cocoa pod! Our guide got one for us and let us eat it. The beans are covered in this white slimy film that tastes like mango. You suck on it then spit out the seeds because those are bitter. I didnt know that at first so i chewed it and they told me to spit it out... But when i did it was purple (what?) Then we got in a canoe and went a ways down a river, paddled by two beautiful Ghanaian men. Ive always wanted to do something like that and now i have. The river was huge and brown and hot... 

Well i realized something about myself on that hike. I realized one reason why ive been so frustrated and angry. I like cities but i hate living in them. I would much rather live in a village. Whenever i go to a village even just for an hour, i feel 100% peaceful and happy again. 

Sigh. Im really... Just wiped out. But i will continue. 

So saturday evening my Ghanaian friend called me and invited me to a concert. I said sure. My host mom sort of told me not to come home late. Honestly, as i was leaving i got a weird feeling that i shouldnt go out. But when i saw my friend it went away. Well the concert didnt even get started on time so we got some soda. then around 10:45 i got home. 

Yeah. So i hung out with Emily for a while then i went in my room and turned on the light. Huh? I hadnt taken the screen off my window... And thats definately not where i left my suitcase. Why is all my stuff strewn on the floor anyw- 

Oh my God. 

Oh my God. 

Strike 2. 

Things the thief stole:
My backpack, with my Fante notes, copies of my passport, my work flashdrive, my nice headphones, and of course, my laptop and charger. 

Also: my carry-on, which was literally full of crap that i didnt need, like my raincoat and some stockings. And my favorite hoodie. So, whatever, you're stupid, you stupid thief. I hope you stay very warm. Not that my sweaters probably fit you anyway. 

Things the thief didnt steal:
My passport, my wallet or any money, my iphone or charger. And like, my souvenirs and whatever...

Ok, so im not too upset about the laptop. It sucks, but i can always just get a cheap one when i get home. But i was really scared Saturday night. My host mom told me to sleep in a different room and i locked the door and windows and left the light on all night and talked with one of my best friends from ohio for like an hour. I didnt sleep very much that night. 

I told you about the fence, right? The one we got after the first theft? Well, that only protected the front of the house. The windows of my room face the back. I have no idea how he got up there, though, since i live basically three stories up. This guy really wanted it. Also... Everyone else was at home AND awake at the time he broke in. The tv was on and its almost always loud outside so they didnt hear a thing. But what this means is that someone has been watching me. Somebody was constantly stalking us and monitoring our movements. Because going to the concert was a last minute decision on my part. The thief saw me leave. He knew which room was mine. And he must have known that nobody else would come in. Well, maybe.... I think he got out of there pretty quickly, seeing as he stole a bag full of sweaters instead of my wallet. And he probably didnt turn on my light. Im just glad that i didnt keep everything in one place. Imagine if more of my things had been in my backpack. 

So i called proworld in the morning. They told me that its not safe to live in that house anymore. Well, i didnt want to live there anymore, since i was scared, first of all, and also because ive been having serious problems with someone there but uhm if you want to know more about that, text me. Im not going to complain about other people over the internet. Basically, im glad i have to move.

So Sunday  afternoon i went to the proworld house while the staff figures out a new place for me to live. Ive just been kickin it here. Monday was a holiday but i wasnt feeling very well so i didnt do a whole lot. I honestly just want to relax. I was a little shaken up. Plus im thinking about one of my classmates.... Im really sad about that. I know you all are, too, Kenyon friends. I know all you are, too.

So im just really tired. On the plus side i keep thinking of more things i can do in my free time. Im pretty sure i have like, 4 friends here so i should try to hang out with them more often. So hopefully that will occupy more of my time. 

Ok sorry that part was boring, just thinking outloud here. Anyway, yeah, so im supposed to get a new host family on Tuesday. I dont know yet who they are or where they live but i hope it will be a better situation than before. 

So in case you havent noticed i havent been having a super great time here. I like work and i like my dressed but this is not the Ghana that i fell in love with. Also i hope i feel better soon. I dont know why i just dont have an appetite. And im tired. And my stomach hurts. 

Another thing ive learned about myself is that i have a great capacity for self-pity. Ive been told this before, but now i know that i take every little bad thing and turn it into a sob story.nthis blog post probably proved that to you. 

Ok i just want to drink some gatorade, lie down, and have zero stimulation for a while. 

I feel so privileged to be able to do so. 

There was a dance competition today but unfortunately i missed  it. 

As always, i'll leave you with something nice/amusing. On Saturday after the hike, we fit 11 people in a taxi. 2 in the passenger seat, 2 in the drivers seat, 6 in the back, and 1 in the trunk. Tetris taxi style...

Alright, let's go. 
Ekuwa... Ugh. Just call me Emily. 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been having the greatest time either! Let's hang out more soon!

    ReplyDelete