Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Haven

Since I last posted I've been feeling a lot better. On Tuesday we got some more volunteers for the office. We did an inspection of a day care that was unregistered and really sort of... Well, it wasn't one of the better ones we've visited. On the plus side, our boss trusts us enough to do inspections by ourselves now. After we wrote up our report, I was bored so I asked what I could do. My boss told me, "I want you to find some quotes that relate to the work we do here... I'm trying to decorate the office a bit more." 

Oh. I am so on that. Have you ever seen my room? I practically do this for a living. Needless to say, the office looks fabulous. 

Then after work I decided to see if one of my friends was around his shop, which he was, so I just hung out with him and another guy until it started to get dark. One of them literally gave me the necklace he was wearing just because I said Iiked it. I tried to refuse, but he wouldn't take it back. So, he wins for being more stubborn. Just kidding, it was really nice of him, especially since he made it himself. Maybe I'll take them out to dinner sometime. 

Wednesday night I went out to a bar with some friends. There's a group living at the Proworld house from a university.  I didn't get a drink but it was still a lot of fun. Not having a drink also means that I acted like my usual socially awkward self. 

"I like this place. It's pretty chill here."
"Yes, and your shirt matches the wall."

Smooth like gravel. 

Being there with so many volunteers means more exposure to the American lifestyle, which means watching girls do "insanity" exercises to a computer video and lots of facebook... and staying up late, so I'm a little tired. But it's so nice to know that I can go out and have fun without having to wake someone up to get back in, or having my things stolen!

My previous host mom told me to stop by the house on Wednesday. She said she had the bag of sweaters I told you about. One of the neighbors had seen it on a construction site up on the hill behind our house. Guess what? My favorite hoodie was still inside! And one of my nice sweaters, and my pens (yay). And my Ghana guide book and whatever like, one sock and other worthless things like that. I honestly just don't even remember what was in there though, except I noticed that they took my raincoat. 

As for the laptop, I locked it using the find my iPhone app, but I still haven't been able to track it. One of the staff members called all the people in the area who know how to fix macs to keep on the lookout for it. I'm not totally hopeful, but it's something. 

By the way, this post is short and not as well written since I'm typing on my iphone. 

So July 4th we had a party! So there was plenty American food and karaoke and general fun. Then I went out again with the University group. I'm having so much fun with them, and let's just say that I didn't feel as awkward this time. They have nicknamed me "2", because there are two Emilys here and because my last host mom always called "Emily number 2" since there were two of us so I already respond to 2. I'm going to be spending a lot more time at the Proworld house I think. 

Well tomorrow I move into my new host family so... 

Yoh, yen koh!
2

No comments:

Post a Comment